Hype and anticipation has been building ever since the team over at Monk’s Kettle announced their intentions for Abbot’s Cellar in San Francisco’s Mission District. It looks like it’s just a matter of time before the doors open. Co-Owners Christian Albertson and celebrated chef Adam Dulye have finished transforming a worn out garage space located at 742 Valencia Street, into what they hope will be a mecca for craft beer paired with fine dining. Judging by the details, they just might meet those expectations.
Here’s what they have planned:
- 120 plus beer list
- 20 beers on draft and two hand pumps
- Daily seasonal à la carte menu with all dishes under $30
- 3-course and 5-course Prix fixe tasting menus with specific beer pairings
- Prior to dinner, each guest will receive an amuse bouche with beer pairing
- Open kitchen and stone oven
- Beer-by-the-glass program poured from 750 ml bottles
- Beer and wine will be served at ideal temperatures
- Two-story stone-encased beer cellar holding 500 cases of beer
According to Adam Dulye, “We want guests to come and explore pairings on their own, or let us guide them to the ideal beer and food pairing.” Dulye will be collaborating on these pairings with Albertson and Co-Beer Director Mike Reis. Dulye said, “Sometimes it will be me leading off with an ingredient I got at the market or from a rancher that’s about to come into season. Other times it will be us tasting through beers and determining what is ready to drink.”
The 3,000 square foot space with 20-foot ceilings and room for 100 guests was designed in partnership with Lundberg Design, whose other notable projects include The Moss Room and The Slanted Door. The overall theme of the space is geared towards an Old World Monastery. Details include reclaimed barn wood flooring, bulb pendants, custom walnut tables featuring a pull out shelf to store the beverage list, a concrete bar and several skylights. Head over to the Abbot’s Cellar website for pictures.
Dinner will be available from Sunday through Thursday from 5:00pm to 11:00pm and Friday and Saturday from 5:00pm to 12:00am.
Stay tuned for a specific opening date.